The effects of skipping breakfast
It seems to be cool or the norm to say ‘I don’t have breakfast’. Well I have news for you it is not going to be cool, it is dangerous if continued for a long period of time. I have listed the most important reasons below, I don’t expect everyone to agree with me or suddenly change their habits of overnight but it is worth concerning especially if you have kids, they do after all follow examples of their parents. Please note I am not trying to tell people how to live their lives at the end of the day, everyone has to make an informed choice but since this blog is about healthy eating, I have to write about this.
- Skipping breakfast can lead to weight gain.
- The other is that lack of concentration either at work or study, recent studies have shown this leads to bad results for workers and students.
- Can bring on mood swings – irritable, eccentric, restless, basically not pleasant to be around.
- You end up binging on junk food. Think about how long your body has been without food – the night before to the moment you wake up, probably between 8-12 hours. It is one of the main reasons people put on weight as stated earlier.
- This could lead to hormonal imbalance in woman – monthly circle
- The other is gall bladder stones, heart disease*
Why have Breakfast?
I know it may sound cliche but breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it increases your energy level, makes you alert, healthy. If you are planning to or dieting, skipping breakfast is not the answer, you are just abusing your body. I am no expert but based on reading and personal experience I know the importance of breakfast. If you are really pushed for time, why not try a piece of fruit, pastry, yogurt, cereal bar, dried fruits, nuts (not peanuts), smoothies, toast, boiled egg this will be ready by the time you are dressed etc. All of these can be eaten on the move, yogurt can be the bottle type meaning you don’t a spoon.
The choices you make will affect you in later years. Why not give breakfast, for argument’s sake two or four weeks trial, I am pretty confident you will notice the difference in your well being. Let me know how you get on, leave a comment, good or bad.
Till the next post, enjoy brekkie.
*Based on various world studies carried out on people who skip breakfast and those who don’t.